Sign up to receive our new recipe email alerts!
from Joy of Kosher by Jamie Geller
Make these savory latkes that eat like a meal for the 2nd night of Chanukah with your leftover Thanksgiving turkey.
DIRECTIONS FOR LATKES:
Fill a large bowl or pot with cold water.
1. Peel potatoes, and as you finish each, place in cold water to prevent browning.
2. Pour oil about 1/4 way up the side of a large skillet and heat over medium heat.
3. Grate potatoes on the large hole side of a box grater. Alternatively, cut potatoes lengthwise into halves or quarters so they fit into food processor feed tube. Process potatoes using the blade that creates thin, shoestring-like strips and transfer to a large bowl.
4. Add onions, egg, Manischewitz® Matzo Meal, baking powder. Salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
5. Add shredded turkey and mix well until combined.
6. Drop heaping tablespoons of mixture into hot oil. Using the back of a spoon, pat down each latke to flatten it. Put as many as you can in the skillet without crowding. Putting them too close together will make them soggy.
7. Fry 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until golden and crisp around the edges; repeat procedure until finished with all the batter.
8. Drain on paper towel lined baking sheets.
9. Serve warm with Black Pepper Gravy.
DIRECTIONS FOR GRAVY:
In a sauté pan, whisk together margarine and flour over medium heat until melted and beginning to turn light brown. Slowly add stock while whisking constantly. Increase heat to medium high and simmer, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add wine and continue to cook until desired thickness is reached. If too thick, thin with a little more stock. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Garnish with additional fresh pepper.
Loaded with ideas to make the most of the occasion >
Watch the highlights >
Start a conversation or follow ours! >